top of page


"Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations" - Psalm 90:1


The fifth day of October, 1892 is a never-to-be-forgotten day in the history of Immanuel Lutheran Church of Hewitt, WI.  Since it marks the beginning of this congregation.

Lutheranism in this community dates farther back, however, than 1892.  Since Marshfield to the west and Auburndale to the east already had established congregations with resident pastors before 1892, the first few Lutheran settlers in the Hewitt territory received some spiritual care from those neighboring churches.  But the need of a local church was soon felt by all.  And as more Lutherans, most of them from Southern Wisconsin, settled on the wild tracts of land in this vicinity, the desire for their own church home gained momentum, and so they communicated with  Pastor F.H. Siebrandt, who at the time was supplying the vacancy at Auburndale.  Upon their request, he conducted divine services for them in the granary of Henry Federwitz I.  Like many other churches, the beginnings of this congregation were very humble.

In a meeting called by Pastor Siebrandt in June 1892, a resolution was adopted to build a church.  Work was begun immediately, and was done by members of the church under the supervision of Albert Duchow., Fred Wunrow Sr. and Gustav Wunrow.  The first church was a plain building, 26x40 feet, and the congregation was officially organized on October 5, 1892 when Pastor William Georgi of Auburndale was called to serve.  Throughout the years, there were numerous additions made to the first church building including the addition of a steeple, as the original building did not have one, a parsonage and a school. 


In October 1988 a Planning Committee was formed to explore building a new church and work began on the current church with a ground breaking on April 28, 1991.  Only 3 days later, with the help of the Laborers for Christ, work officially began on the new church.  The final service in the original church, which stood for 99 years, took place on December 1, 1991. One week later, on December 8, 1991 the first service was held in the new church as it stands today with an official dedication ceremony which took place on January 12, 1992.

The spirit of the current church was not built for the present but for the tomorrows that follow.  This is evident in the growth each year of the number of new members, both infants and adults, who are finding a church home at Immanuel Lutheran Church Hewitt.

Immanuel Lutheran Church Hewitt is a member of the Northern Wisconsin District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. (For more on the LCMS, please visit their website).

Blue cross.jpg

Pastor Pingel's ministry is characterized by his deep love, concern and care for the people of his congregation.  His biblical, strong and meaningful sermons have blessed his hearers through the years.  God has indeed gifted His Church through Dean's ministry.


Originally born in Neenah, Wisconsin Pastor Pingel graduated from Hortonville High School.  After graduation his educational endeavors then took him to Fox Valley Tech and the University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley where he graduated with honors.  He then pursued his special interest in Geography and studied in this field at the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay and at the University of Utah.

Pastor Pingel was then led to pursue Pastoral Ministry, enrolling first in the Concordia Theological Seminary in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and then in Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri from which he graduated in 1985.  As part of his seminary education he completed a successful vicar program at the First Lutheran Church in Gainesville, Florida as well as a Summer Vicarage.

Upon graduation from the Seminary in 1985, Pastor Pingel was ordained into the ministry of the Church in 1985 at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Greenville, Wisconsin.  He then accepted a Call to the office of the Associate Pastor at Redeemer Lutheran Church and School in Sturat, Florida.  Subsequently he became Senior Pastor of that congregation.

In 1991, he became Pastor of Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Aloha, Oregon.  During his tenure there a new sanctuary was built and the church expanded greatly in growth and ministry.  In 1997, he received and accepted his present Call as Pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Hewitt, Wisconsin.


Pastor Mark Krueger has enjoyed many facets of ministry during his 46 years of ministry including youth, visitation and teaching.   He really enjoys preaching the love of God to his people both in the pulpit and doing First Person characters.  Pastor Mark enjoys what he is doing and it shows.


Pastor Mark graduated from South High School in Sheboygan, Wi in 1967.

After high school he attended Concordia Jr. College in Milwaukee, WI and Concordia Sr. College in Fort Wayne, IN.  He then went on to Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, MO.   His third year at the seminary he vicared at Mount Zion Lutheran Church in Minneapolis, MN.  He was ordained in his home parish, Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Sheboygan, WI in March of 1976.


Trinity Lutheran Church in Jasper, MN was Pastor Mark’s first congregation where he served from 1976-1981.   He also served as chaplain at Good Samaritan Nursing Home in Pipestone, MN during his time there.   He then accepted a call to Bethany Lutheran Church in Kohler, WI where he served from 1981-1987.  He also taught theology at Lutheran High School in Sheboygan during his time in Kohler.  In September of 1987 Pastor Mark accepted a Call from Christ Lutheran Church in Marshfield, WI serving there from 1987 until his retirement in 2012.  


Pastor Mark served as Army Chaplain from 1986-1994.  He served units in Milwaukee, Sheboygan and Marshfield.  


In retirement he is still active doing ministry at area funeral homes, preaching at area churches as needed and is currently enjoying helping Pastor Dean at Immanuel Lutheran in Hewitt, WI.


He has been married to Sandy since 1970 and God has blessed them with two children (Sara and Aaron) and four grandchildren (Ella, Porter, Barrik and Lola).

pastor mark.jpg
old church.jpg
  • Rev. Traugott P. Bradtke (1965 - 1997)

  • Rev. Daniel Ahrens (1964 - 1965)

  • Rev. Nicholas Hasz (1958 - 1964)

  • Rev. Truman W. Broetzman (1955 - 1957)

  • Rev. John Brandt (1945 - 1955)

  • Rev. Samuel E. Rathke (1920 - 1945)

  • Rev. August W. Ristow (1896 - 1920) 

  • Rev. William Georgi (1892 - 1896)

bottom of page